Frequently Asked Questions

What did my child buy from the cafeteria? 
Why is my balance so low when I just sent money to school? 
How much is left in my child's account?

If you want to see your account balance or if you want to know what your child purchases from the cafeteria, all you have to do is click on this website and register: .  This website also enables you to add money to your child's account, if you wish, and to set up low balance alerts.  

Where can I find an application form?
Do I have to fill one out on each of my children?

You can get a form from your child's school or you can download it right here:
English    Spanish  -  Only one form is needed per family. 

Can schools refuse to serve my child if he forgets to bring money?

Although schools do not have to serve children who have not paid for meals, we try to be somewhat flexible by allowing students to charge a limited amount.  When that limit is reached, an alternate meal (usually a sandwich) may be provided until the account balance is paid.  The alternate meal is not free, but provided at a lower cost

Why does my child have to take food he/she does not want to eat?
Why have the meals changed so much this year?

A "reimbursable meal" is a meal for which our district receives money from the government. In order for a meal to be reimbursable, a child must take a certain number and type of foods from the serving line.

The Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 directed USDA to update the NSLP’s meal pattern and nutrition standards based on the latest Dietary Guidelines for Americans. The new meal pattern went into effect at the beginning of the 2012-13 school year, and increases the availability of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains in the school menu. New dietary specifications set specific limits on meats, breads, and calories to ensure age-appropriate meals for grades K-5, 6-8, and 9-12.

If you have other questions you would like to see addressed on this page, please email them to [email protected].

Want to know more about the National School Lunch Program?
National School Lunch Program Fact Sheet

In accordance with Federal Law and U. S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national
origin, sex, age, or disability.

To file a complaint of discrimination, write to:
USDA Director, Office of Adjudication
1400 Independence Ave., SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410

If you prefer, You may call toll free (866) 632-9992.  Individuals who are hearing impyired or who have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service (800) 877-8339 (English) or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish).  USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.