Welcome to Child Nutrition Services!
Please see our menus page for items to be served this year. Below is a summary of the current meal pattern and what your child can expect in his/her cafeteria!
- Meal Pattern- Meals are based on the 5 components of the MyPlate:
- Meat/Meat Alternate
- Reimbursable Meal -Students will need to select at least 3 out of the 5 components. Students must take 1/2 cup of fruit or vegetable.
- Fruits & Vegetables-Will offer subgroups of vegetables with minimum amounts each week. Subgroups include red/orange, dark green leafy, beans/legumes, starchy
- Grains- Decrease in the amount & size of servings. Minimum amounts each week. Half the grain items offered on the menu must be Whole Grain-Rich (first ingredient is the whole grain).
- Meat/Meat Alternate-Decrease in the amount & size of servings. Minimum amounts each week.
- Milk -Low-fat (1%) and non-fat (skim) are only allowed. Flavor milk must be non-fat.
- Calories -Lunches must fall within a range of calories specific to the grade group.
- Sodium (Salt) -The amount of sodium allowed with gradually decrease over 10 years.
The mission of the Child Nutrition Services Department is to enhance the health status and nutrition education of all students within the Alum Rock Union Elementary School District. Our purpose is to serve all students safe, nutritious, and appealing school meals that meet the USDA nutritional requirements.
Good nutrition and learning go hand in hand
The Child Nutrition Services Department is made up of a team of food and nutrition professionals that are dedicated to students' health, well being and their ability to learn. We support learning by promoting healthy habits for lifelong nutrition and fitness practices.