Special Meal Accommodations


For a Disabling, Non-Disabling Medical Condition, or Life-Threatening Food Allergy: Click here for Medical Statement

Madison-Grant United School Corporation Nutrition Department adheres to specific USDA guidelines in providing special diet accommodations for students.  In accordance with the criteria set forth in 7 C.F.R. Part 15B, those students who are unable to east the school meal due to a disability/medical need/or impairment are accommodated, at no additional charge.  Please review the following information if your child requires special diet consideration.

Per Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, parents have a right to an evaluation of your child if the District has reason to believe that your child has a mental or physical impairment that substantially limits a major life activity which can involve eating/digestion. You have the right to this evaluation before any plan for accommodation. Request for meal accommodations should be directed to your School Nurse and should include:

  • Information about the child's physical or mental impairment that is sufficient to allow the SFA to understand how it restricts the child's diet.
  • An explanation of what must be done to accommodate the child's disability, and
  • The food or foods to be omitted and recommendation alternatives, in the case of a modified meal.

The safety of your child comes first. If you have a child with a disability/medical need or impairment, please submit your request for accommodation here by completing this form and submitting to the school nurse. 


Students who have food intolerance or allergies, but not life-threatening reactions

School food service may make food substitutions, on a case-by-case basis, for individual children who do not have a disability, but who are medically certified as having a special medical or dietary need.  Such determinations are only made on a case-by-case basis. This provisions covers those children who have food intolerance or allergies, but do not have life-threatening reactions (anaphylactic reactions) when exposed to the food(s) to which they have problems. Please contact your school nurse or your school cafeteria manager with this request. 

If your child needs a milk substitution, please fill out the milk substitution form. Soy milk is available as a milk substitution without a medical professional's signature. 


Grievance Procedure

If the household feels accommodations are not being met, they have the right to contact the 504 Coordinator (Building Principal) and:

  • File a grievance if they believe a violation has occurred regarding the request for a reasonable modification;
  • Receive a prompt and equitable resolution of the grievance;
  • Request and participate in an impartial hearing to resolve their grievances;
  • Examine the record; and
  • Receive notice of the final decision and a procedure for review, i.e. right to appeal the hearing's decision.