View our Wellness Policy
& Diet Related Illness
Welcome to the Kern County Superintendent of Schools Wellness Policy page. Our District has developed a Wellness Policy that is focused on improving the health of students. The policy was developed by the health and wellness advisory council that includes teachers, parents, administrators, and the district nurse.
Sharing the Message of Wellness
One of our goals is to share the message of nutrition and wellness via our department's Web site that emphasizes the importance of nutrition AND fitness. Our site provides information on the nutrition and fitness for teachers, parents, and students, as well as, a variety of learning tools.
Key Areas of our Wellness Policy
Balance is essential for any Wellness Policy. Key areas include:
- Nutrition Education
- Physical activity
- Other school-based activities that are designed to promote student wellness.
Annual Wellness Policy Update
2014-15 saw the implementation of new menu items and a continued focus on serving healthy, student approved meals that meet all USDA and State nutritional requirements. Some of the highlights include:
- The National School Breakfast Menu’s Fat content was 18.6%, 38% below the maximum allowance of 30%, while the Saturated Fat content was 5.8%, 42% below the maximum allowance of 10%.
- The National School Lunch Menu’s Fat content was 22.8%, 24% below the maximum allowance of 30%, while the Saturated Fat content was 8.1%, 19% below the maximum allowance of 10%.
- New scratch cooked menu items including Italian Baked Ziti, Homemade Mac & Cheese and Beef Spaghetti.
- Outreach to the community to increase summer meals served through our Summer Seamless sites at Buttonwillow Elementary, Beale Memorial Library, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Recreation Center and Bakersfield Police Activities League.